Cooling Fan Gets Blame For Barrie Fire

A freestanding fan the culprit behind flames at a home on Drury Lane

Smoke and water damage but thankfully no injuries in a fire in the north end of Barrie.

Image courtesy of Barrie Fire

Crews called in after flames were reported Saturday night from a two unit home on Drury Lane, near Bayfield Street and Wellington Street.

Investigation reveals the fire started in a freestanding fan. Fire officials have been unable to pinpoint how it ignited. It could have overheated, there could have been dust or debris in the motor or the cord may have been damaged. They advise cords be inspected regularly, that extension cords never be used and that fans be turned off when you leave the room/house.