The Ontario NDP is backing their leader Andrea Horwath.
She received 84 per cent support from 1,500 party delegates in Hamilton, then unveiled her plan to fight climate change.
The Green New Democratic Deal aims to make Ontario a net-zero emitter of greenhouse gases by 2050.
The paper borrows its name from Green Party Leader Mike Schreiner.
Green New Democratic Deal
- NDP government would reduce Ontario’s emissions by at least 50 per cent from 2005 levels by 2030
- Homeowners and businesses would be encouraged to participate in a building retrofit program to cut emissions
- It would also incorporate some type of carbon pricing
- NDP government would provide “tailored supports” to industry, helping industry transition to the “net-zero economy”
- Creation of new jobs for tradespeople, public transit operators, engineers and scientists