Jury trials suspended by the Ontario Superior Court until February

Jury trials currently in progress can proceed at the discretion of the judge

The pandemic continues to play havoc in the courts.

Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice announced Monday that jury trials in most parts of the province have been suspended until February.

The notice extends the move announced last month to suspend jury selection for new trials until Jan. 4.

The court says the suspension does not apply to regions in the green zone under the province’s COVID-19 pandemic response plan.

Chief Justice Geoffrey Morawetz says jury trials currently in progress can continue at the discretion of the trial judge.

Morawetz says he strongly encourages virtual proceedings.