Your main takeaway today:
–Slow decrease in hospitalizations continues, more than 4,000 fewer vaccines administered
Local COVID.-19 numbers as per the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, updated Monday to Friday by 3 p.m.
- Number of new cases reported Friday: 112 (5,052 to date)
- Number of active cases as of Friday: 1,159
- Number of new recoveries Friday: 138 (3,756 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Friday: 7 (108 to date)
- Number of vaccines administered Thursday: 0 (14,583 to date)
- Number of people currently hospitalized due to COVID-19: 34
- Tests run in Simcoe County last week: 245 per 100,000 people
- Tests run in Muskoka District last week: 131 per 100,000 people
- Percent positivity: 2.8 percent
There were 19 outbreaks being reported in the region as of January 22, The most recent being Pines Long Term Care Residence in Bracebridge and Kingsmere Retirement Living in Alliston, both declared January 20. Outbreaks at Georgian Manor in Penetanguishene and Villa Retirement Lodge in Midland have ended. Below is a summary of those outbreaks that can be publicly reported. Names of congregate settings and workplaces are not made public by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit.
Provincial COVID-19 numbers as per Public Health Ontario, updated daily by 11 a.m.
- Number of cases reported Sunday: 2,417 (255,002 to date)
- Number of recoveries reported Sunday: 2,759 (225,046 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Sunday: 50 (5,806 to date)
- Vaccines administered as of 8 p.m. Saturday: 4,427 (280,573 to date)
- Number of patients hospitalized as of Sunday: 1,436 (approximately 10 per cent of hospitals did not provide data)
- Number of patients currently in ICU as of Sunday: 392 (301 on a ventilator)
- Number of tests processed by Sunday: 48,947
- Percent positivity: 4.2 per cent