Your main takeaway today:
-Seven of the nine deaths reported by the local health unit are connected to an ongoing outbreak at Roberta Place in Barrie
-the province has now vaccinated more than 250,000 people, many of them residents of long-term care homes
-At 4.3 percent, Thursday’s percent positivity rate is the lowest seen since mid-December, before the second lockdown took effect
Local COVID.-19 numbers as per the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, updated Monday to Friday by 3 p.m.
- Number of new cases reported Thursday: 88 (4,941 to date)
- Number of active cases as of Thursday: 1,193
- Number of new recoveries Thursday: 70 (3,618 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Thursday: 9 (101 to date)
- Number of vaccines administered Wednesday: 228 (14,413 to date)
- Number of people currently hospitalized due to COVID-19: 37
- Tests run in Simcoe County last week: 245 per 100,000 people
- Tests run in Muskoka District last week: 131 per 100,000 people
- Percent positivity: 2.8 percent
There were 19 outbreaks being reported in the region as of January 21, The most recent being Pines Long Term Care Residence in Bracebridge and Kingsmere Retirement Living in Alliston, both declared January 20. Outbreaks at Georgian Manor in Penetanguishene and Villa Retirement Lodge in Midland have ended. Below is a summary of those outbreaks that can be publicly reported. Names of congregate settings and workplaces are not made public by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit.
Provincial COVID-19 numbers as per Public Health Ontario, updated daily by 11 a.m.
- Number of cases reported Thursday: 2,632 (247,564 to date)
- Number of recoveries reported Thursday: 2,990 (215,887 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Thursday: 46 (5,614 to date)
- Vaccines administered as of 8 p.m. Wednesday: 15,899 (253,817 to date)
- Number of patients hospitalized as of Thursday: 1,533
- Number of patients currently in ICU as of Thursday: 388 (293 on a ventilator)
- Number of tests processed by Wednesday: 70,256
- Percent positivity: 4.3 percent