Your main takeaway today:
-the local health unit reported one new variant of concern (VOC) in Tuesday’s update
-On its first day of broader vaccination, the local health unit administered 1,648 doses
Local COVID-19 numbers as per the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, updated Monday to Friday by 3 p.m.
- Number of new cases reported Tuesday: 32 (6,525 to date)
- Number of variant cases reported Tuesday: 1 (191 to date)
- Number of active cases as of Tuesday: 468
- Number of new recoveries Tuesday: 73 (5,816 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Tuesday: 0 (189 to date)
- Number of vaccines administered Monday: 1,648 (43,439 to date)
- Number of people currently hospitalized due to COVID-19: 18
- Tests run in Simcoe County last week: 221 per 100,000 people
- Tests run in Muskoka District last week: 83 per 100,000 people
- Percent positivity: 2.2 percent
There were 29 outbreaks being reported in the region as of March 2, the most recent of which is Woods Park Care Centre in Barrie, declared February 28. Below is a summary of those outbreaks that can be publicly reported. Names of congregate settings and workplaces are not made public by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit.
Provincial COVID-19 numbers as per Public Health Ontario, updated daily by 11 a.m.
- Number of cases reported Tuesday: 966 (302,805 to date)
- Number of recoveries reported Tuesday: 979 (285,262 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Tuesday: 11 (6,997 to date)
- Number of vaccine doses administered by Monday at 8 p.m.: 22,326 (727,021 total doses administered, 264,896 people fully vaccinated)
- Number of patients hospitalized as of Tuesday: 677
- Number of patients in ICU as of Tuesday: 284 (189 on a ventilator)
- Number of new tests processed by Monday: 30,767
- Percent positivity: 2.9 percent