Your main takeaway today:
-The local health unit reported three more lives lost on Wednesday, with now 134 deaths due to COVID-19 reported in Simcoe-Muskoka
-The local ICU bed occupancy rate exceeded the health unit’s goal of under 90 percent on Wednesday
-The number of new COVID-19 cases province-wide dipped below 2,000 for the third day in a row
Local COVID-19 numbers as per the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit, updated Monday to Friday by 3 p.m.
- Number of new cases reported Tuesday: 40 (5,242 to date)
- Number of active cases as of Tuesday: 1,151
- Number of new recoveries Tuesday: 99 (3,925 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Tuesday: 3 (134 to date)
- Number of vaccines administered Tuesday: 394 (15,759 to date)
- Number of people currently hospitalized due to COVID-19: 37
- Tests run in Simcoe County last week: 229 per 100,000 people
- Tests run in Muskoka District last week: 141 per 100,000 people
- Percent positivity: 3.3 percent
There were 19 outbreaks being reported in the region as of January 26, The most recent being Muskoka Shores Care Community in Gravenhurst, declared on January 22. Below is a summary of those outbreaks that can be publicly reported. Names of congregate settings and workplaces are not made public by the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit.
Provincial COVID-19 numbers as per Public Health Ontario, updated daily by 11 a.m.
- Number of cases reported Tuesday: 1,670 (260,370 to date)
- Number of recoveries reported Tuesday: 2,725 (232,480 to date)
- Number of deaths reported Tuesday: 49 (5,958 to date)
- Vaccines administered as of 8 p.m. Monday: 9,513 (305,330 to date)
- Number of patients hospitalized as of Friday: 1,382
- Number of patients currently in ICU as of Friday: 377 (291 on a ventilator)
- Number of tests processed by Thursday: 55,191
- Percent positivity: 4 percent