Additional COVID-19 restrictions are possible in other parts of the GTA

Doug Ford could have a decision about Halton and Peel by Monday

Durham and Halton could be the next areas of the GTA to rollback to a modified Stage 2.

Premier Doug Ford said at a media briefing on Friday he hopes to have an answer on Monday, and added officials will be meeting this weekend to discuss about whether to impose additional restrictions.

“Well we are going to discuss all the different regions that we see a little escalation in the cases and we will be able to discuss that on Monday and give you a clearer answer, but again please just keep practicing social distancing, hand washing and face masking,” Ford said during his briefing.

Durham and Halton are the only parts of the GTA that remain in Stage 3 of the province’s reopening plan. Both regions have posted an average of 30 plus new cases a day over the last week.

Toronto, Peel and Ottawa were moved back into a modified Stage 2 on Oct. 10, which banned indoor dining at restaurants and bars, and closed gyms, movie theatres and casinos. A week later York Region was added to the list.

Ford told reporters on Friday he has been in talks with mayors in Halton Region.