Here’s a good reason to brave the cold this weekend.
The City of Barrie is opening its two main outdoor ice rinks as of Saturday. The Circle at the Centre rink at City Hall will open on December 19 and will be open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., weather permitting. The rink will be available for pleasure skating only, as is the Centennial Beach rink, which will also open from 10-10 daily.
There will be safety procedures and protocols in place at both rinks, including:
- Ice surface occupancy protocols will be in place. Signage at each location will identify the maximum number of skaters permitted on the ice surface at one time.
- Change rooms and washrooms will not be open. Please plan your visits with these restrictions in mind.
- No shinny hockey, broomball, ringette, or other types of scrimmage activity will be permitted on outdoor ice surfaces.
- Stay at least two metres away from those not part of your household.
- Consider wearing a mask or face covering while using the ice surface, if two metre distancing cannot be maintained.
City-operated outdoor rinks at Heritage Park, Eastview Park, Lampman Lane Park, Redpath Park, and Shear Park, will open as soon as the city is able.