The closure of the Canadian and American border to non-essential travel that originally began March 21 will continue for another month. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed today a deal had been struck between the two countries to continue to keep the border closed except for trade and commerce, with exceptions for public health and emergency response purposes.
The initial deal was to expire on Tuesday.
“This is an important decision and one that will keep people on both sides of the border safe,” Trudeau said.
The PM said earlier this week the border would not be opening anytime soon. The comment was the opposite of what U.S. President Donald Trump had stated, who also said this week the border could open soon.
At the same briefing, Trudeau unveiled $306 million in funding toward Indigenous businesses. The PM said the investment will help thousands of businesses bridge to better times, including many that are owned and run by Indigenous women.