Flames that ripped through a classroom and an office in the Hospitality, Tourism and Recreation building Wednesday morning at Georgian College in Barrie gave been traced back to a laser cutter.
Firefighters got the call just after 3 am and had things under control by 6 am.
No one was hurt. Damage is estimated at $1.5 million.
Crews remained on scene for much of the day to clear smoke that drifted through three buildings.
Crews continue to break windows in an effort to ventilate smoke and gasses from the building. pic.twitter.com/iyf3sWWHke— Barrie Fire (@Barrie_Fire) June 5, 2019
Classes will be back in session as of Thursday. E building will remain closed. Students should check Blackboard or their timetable in Banner for new class locations.
images via Barrie Fire and Emergency Service