CUPE warns Ontario parents to make arrangements for next week as strike set to start

Catholic and public schools in Simcoe County will be closed on Friday

By Allison Jones in Toronto

with files from Barrie 360

The union representing Ontario education workers that are planning an indefinite strike advised parents Thursday to make alternative child-care plans into next week.

Canadian Union of Public Employees’ leadership, speaking at the legislature ahead of the expected passage of a bill that would make striking illegal, didn’t offer a specific set of circumstances that would lead them to end their walkout once it starts Friday. 

CUPE’s 55,000 education workers will be off the job “until our members decide otherwise,” union leaders said.

“We are on strike until this government recognizes that you can put in all of the legislation in place, but you cannot control a worker movement that is so fed up with your overreach,” said Laura Walton, president of CUPE’s Ontario School Board Council of Unions.

Walton said parents should “definitely” make alternate arrangements for child care beyond Friday.

“When my kids were little, I had plans for a snow day, I had plans for you know, any sort of thing,” she said. “Parents have contingency plans, always have contingency plans.”

!– Begin Constant Contact Inline Form Code –>

Mediation between CUPE and the government concluded Thursday with no deal ahead and Education Minister Stephen Lecce said the government is proceeding with legislation to impose a contract and ban strikes.

“Today, we made a good-faith effort to reach a fair deal,” he said at a news conference. 

“But all along, CUPE refused to take strikes and disruption off the table. For the sake of Ontario’s two million students, to keep classrooms open, CUPE has left us with no choice but to pass the Keeping Kids in Class Act.” 

CUPE has said its workers, including educational assistants, custodians and administrative staff, will start a strike Friday “until further notice,” even if the legislation passes and makes a walkout illegal. Many schools will be closed at least for Friday as a result.

The legislation sets out fines for violating a prohibition on strikes for the life of the agreement of up to $4,000 per employee per day, while there are fines of up to $500,000 for the union. 

The union has said it would foot the bill for penalties levied against workers, which could cost as much as $220 million per day.

Lecce suggested the government would pursue those penalties.

“You’ve heard it directly from union leaders that CUPE will strike tomorrow,” he said. “If they do so once this legislation is passed, this strike will be illegal and we will use every tool we have to end their disruption.” 

Candace Rennick, CUPE’s national secretary-treasurer, said the union is telling members to report any fines they get to their local president. The union is seeking legal advice, she said.

“If the government of Ontario wants to clog up the justice system with $4,000 per-member-per-day fines, then I say bring it on, we are ready for that fight,” Rennick said. 

CUPE plans to fight the fines, but at the end of the day if the union has to pay, it will pay, Rennick said. Walton has previously suggested that CUPE is looking for outside financial help from other labour groups.

“It’s kind of like a bully asking for your…lunch money every day,” Walton said of the fines. “At one point, you’re going to have to stand up to that bully, and say, ‘Enough is enough.'”

Walton said there is “money coming in from other sources,” including parents donating money, to help foot the cost.

The Simcoe County District School Board, which had said earlier in the week that its schools would remain open, announced Thursday that schools will be closed on Friday. This has to do with a solidarity walkout by 8,000 education workers who are represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union, who at the SCDSB represent educational assistants, secretaries and other workers. CUPE represents custodians and maintenance staff.

Schools with the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board will be closed on Friday. At that board, CUPE represents custodians, and there are no OPSEU members.

In a memo obtained by The Canadian Press, the Ministry of Education urged school boards to “implement contingency plans, where every effort is made to keep schools open for as many children as possible.”

If boards determine they can’t safely open schools without the CUPE members, the ministry said “school boards must support students in a speedy transition to remote learning.”

The Ontario Public School Boards’ Association president said many boards are closing schools.

“Where schools are closed to in-person learning it is because they are unable to maintain the healthy and safe operation of schools for students without these critical education workers,” Cathy Abraham said in a statement.

The government originally offered raises of two per cent a year for workers making less than $40,000 and 1.25 per cent for all others, but Lecce said the new, imposed four-year deal would give 2.5 per cent annual raises to workers making less than $43,000 and 1.5 per cent raises for all others.

CUPE has said that framing is not accurate because the raises actually depend on hourly wages and pay scales, so the majority of workers who earn less than $43,000 in a year wouldn’t get 2.5 per cent.

CUPE has said its workers, which make on average $39,000 a year, are generally the lowest paid in schools and had been seeking annual salary increases of 11.7 per cent.

The union’s original proposal also included overtime at two times the regular pay rate, 30 minutes of paid prep time per day for educational assistants and ECEs, an increase in benefits and professional development for all workers.

Walton said CUPE cut its wage proposal more than in half in a counter offer it gave the government Tuesday night and made “substantial” moves in other areas as well. The government said it would not negotiate unless CUPE cancelled the strike.

Several other unions, including the teachers’ unions currently in bargaining with the government, have expressed solidarity with CUPE. That also includes the Labourers’ International Union of North America — LiUNA — which endorsed Premier Doug Ford’s Progressive Conservatives in the spring election. 

The Ontario Public Service Employees Union has said the 8,000 education workers it represents will be walking off the job Friday in solidarity with CUPE.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, as well as the federal justice and labour ministers, have criticized the Ontario government for pre-emptively including the notwithstanding clause in the education worker legislation, saying it shouldn’t be used to suspend workers’ rights.

The clause allows the legislature to override portions of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms for a five-year term.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 3, 2022.

34 Shares
Tweet
Share
Share
Pin