A teenager was able to get to safety, thanks to Man’s Best Friend.
Barrie Fire Services’ Samantha Hoffmann tells Barrie 360 a fire started in a garage Wednesday afternoon and spread unnoticed. A teenager was in the house along with the family dog. The four-legged-friend alerted the teen with a few barks, and the pair were able to get to safety.
By the time Barrie Fire arrived at the Chieftain Crescent home around 5:30, the garage was fully engulfed and had spread to a neighbouring home.
The fire on Chieftain is out. 2 apparatus remain on scene for hot spots. OFMEM have been notified. Dollar loss is >$500k. No injuries reported. pic.twitter.com/6puaj7lu2F— Barrie Fire (@Barrie_Fire) September 25, 2019
The fire grew unnoticed, according to Hoffmann, as there is no requirement for fire prevention devices like smoke alarms in residential garages.