News

Published April 4, 2025

(Updated) Ford visits areas with prolonged power outages caused by ice storm in Ontario

By Canadian Press Staff
CP - Premier Doug Ford - ice storm
St. Vincent Park, Barrie (Image - Barrie 360, Mar. 30, 2025)

Updated April 4, 2025 @ 5:02pm

Prolonged power outages could linger into next week in remote Ontario communities after punishing spring storms, officials said, as Premier Doug Ford toured some hard-hit areas. 

During a stop in Orillia, Ford thanked hydro workers, volunteers and local officials for their ongoing efforts to restore power to tens of thousands of homes and business that are still in the dark.  

"I can assure you we're working around the clock to get people's power up," he said. 

The weekend storm caused severe damage in cities such as Orillia and Peterborough, while another storm system that moved through parts of Ontario mid-week caused additional scattered outages and slowed down restoration efforts.

Restoration was set to continue through the weekend, but it could take longer for remote areas, Hydro One said Friday. Power had been restored to 89 per cent of customers but about 140,000 were still without power. 

CEO David Lebeter said Friday he expected that number would fall to 70,000, including 37,000 seasonal homes, by the end of the day.  

"We're well on our way to having this wrapped up. There will be some people that are going to go into next week," he said.

"Small rural communities or homes down isolated roads — it's going to take a long time. But we hope to have 95 to 98 per cent of the people back by the end of this weekend." 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 4, 2025.

What do you think of this article?
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Have a breaking story?

Share it with us!
Share Your Story

What Barrie's talking about!

From breaking news to the best slice of pizza in town! Get everything Barrie’s talking about delivered right to your inbox every day. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you. We promise :)
Subscription Form
Consent Info

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Central Ontario Broadcasting, 431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, Ontario, CA, https://www.cobroadcasting.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Related Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement