Good boy: Dog alerts owners as fire ignites at Huntsville home

Everyone inside made it out safely

Residents of a Huntsville home are safe after their pet dog alerted them about a fire in their basement early this morning.

Around 4 a.m., the Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to the scene.

Firefighters say they observed heavy smoke and suppressed and contained the fire in the basement.

They say the first floor sustained heavy smoke damage, with total damage estimated at around $400,000.

The fire department is investigating whether there were any working smoke or carbon monoxide alarms in the home at the time of the fire.

Everyone inside the home made it out safely.

“The tenants were alerted to the fire by the homeowner’s American Bulldog, Champ,” says Fire Chief, Gary Monahan in a release.

Huntsville Fire - Dog

“The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department would like to remind everyone that while Champ is a hero, only working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are reliable for an early warning.”

Images via Huntsville OPP Twitter