Nicked Gas Line Clears Barrie Grocery Store

Employee Said to have Cut Line Feeding Gas Heater

A Barrie grocery store was evacuated early afternoon Monday after an employee allegedly cut a gas line.

Barrie Fire’s Samantha Hoffman tells Barrie 360, an employee was operating some equipment when it nicked a line feeding into a gas heater within the warehouse portion of the Zehrs store on Bryne Drive. The gas ignited, while the sprinkler system kicked on, containing the blaze.

Barrie Fire arrived to finish the job, while the store remained closed into the afternoon. Hoffman tells us that Health Canada, on scene as of mid-afternoon Monday, would first have to give the all-clear before employees and shoppers can reenter the store.