Natural gas leak closed Penetanguishene Town Hall on Tuesday

Town staff working from home while building is aired out

A bad case of gas has closed Penetanguishene’s Town Hall.

Due to a natural gas leak, the town had to close its facility at 10 Robert Street West on Tuesday morning and expected it would remain closed for the rest of the day.

The Penetanguishene Fire Department was able to trace the leak to its source and has since contained it, but heating in the building was turned off for safety’s sake even as the building was being aired out. Staff who punched in at Town Hall Tuesday morning were instructed to work from home instead. “Staff will continue to work with residents to complete tasks over the phone, and by email. Staff members working remotely will be checking their voicemails periodically throughout the day to ensure all service levels are maintained,” reads a statement from the Town of Penetanguishene.

The Town is directing residents to its website to find the contact information of the appropriate staff member you’d have otherwise spoken to at Town Hall in person.