There’s no evidence of a spike in COVID-19 cases after thousands of people descended upon Trinity Bellwoods Park in downtown Toronto more than two weeks ago.
“So far there has been no evidence of increased COVID-19 activity that can be linked to the gathering in Trinity Bellwoods Park on May 23,” Toronto Public Health said on Monday.
“However, COVID-19 continues to circulate in Toronto and over 65% of cases reported since that day are from a close contact,” Toronto Public Health said.
Thousands of people descended on the park on May 23.
Premier Doug Ford said it looked like a rock concert without a band.
“My recommendation to anyone at Trinity Bellwoods, why don’t you do us all a favour and go get tested now?”
The City of Toronto has since painted physical distancing circles in the park.
The second stage of Ontario’s COVID-19 reopening will start on June 12 — but not in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area.
Restaurant patios, hair salons, beaches and provincial parks can reopen in some regions on Friday.
“The current limit on social gatherings will go up from five to 10 people, regardless of whether a region has moved to Stage 2,” Premier Ford said.
“Although this is extremely encouraging, I urge everyone to exercise caution and continue to follow public health advice as we are not out of the woods yet,” Ford said.
Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams said officials are looking at new guidelines on expanding family bubbles “in the very near future.”
If you’re gathering with people from outside your own household, Dr. Williams said the guideline is to stay physically distanced at least six feet apart.