News

Published August 18, 2026

Ontario announces $10M in new skills development funding

By Allison Jones
Ontario Labour Minister David Piccini speaks at an announcement in Ottawa
Ontario's Minister of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development David Piccini speaks at an announcement in Ottawa on Tuesday, March 10, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Patrick Doyle

Ontario is spending $10 million on six programs to give people training in the skilled trades as part of its Skills Development Fund.

The fund gained notoriety after the province's auditor general found last year that the way the government had been selecting successful applications and disbursing money from the $2.5-billion fund was not fair, transparent or accountable.

Integrity commissioner Cathryn Motherwell is investigating allegations from the opposition parties that Labour Minister David Piccini breached ethics rules in handing out the skills training funding.

Barrie's News Delivered To Your Inbox

Stay up to date with what Barrie's talking about. Get the latest local news delivered right to your inbox every day. Never miss out on what's going on ...
Subscription Form
Consent Info

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Central Ontario Broadcasting, 431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, Ontario, CA, https://www.cobroadcasting.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

The government says it has made changes to how it selects projects through this sixth round of funding, including requiring applications to disclose the use of registered lobbyists and analyzing individuals associated with applications, in addition to the organization.

The projects splitting the latest $10 million in skills development funding include YMCA-led training for construction jobs, automotive service training and a program giving young people skills in the electrical trades.

Piccini says the fund helps people build rewarding careers and strengthen the workforce that will build Ontario's homes and infrastructure.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Aug. 18, 2026.

What do you think of this article?
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Have a breaking story?

Share it with us!
Share Your Story

What Barrie's talking about!

From breaking news to the best slice of pizza in town! Get everything Barrie’s talking about delivered right to your inbox every day. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you. We promise :)
Subscription Form
Consent Info

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Central Ontario Broadcasting, 431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, Ontario, CA, https://www.cobroadcasting.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Related Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement