Ontario parents should receive second COVID-19 payout before Christmas

The government will spend $380 million on the second payout

A second COVID-19 cheque for Ontario parents from the Ford government should arrive before the holidays.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce said on Friday the application portal to receive the second payout will open “within the next week.”

The second payout was announced when the province tabled its budget earlier this month.

“It’s part of a broader effort to get money in the pockets of parents ahead of the holidays,” Lecce said. “We know it’s tough. We are going to be there for parents and for the kids.”

Parents of children aged 12 or younger will be able to receive a one-time payment of $200 per child, and $250 for children 21 years of age or younger with special education needs.

The first payout came in the spring. The government says they are meant as a “measure of relief” for those affected by outbreaks of the infection in schools and for those choosing to learn at home.

The cost of the second payout will be $380 million, on top of the $378 million in round one.