Any cellphone carried by an Ontario civil servant will have the COVID-alert app installed, as per directive from Queen’s Park.
Premier Doug Ford said Thursday that over 26,000 staff in Ontario’s public service have been directed to download the app to their government cellphone, “because, as government employees, we work for you,” said Ford. “Those government cellphones are your property. This is a very small but important way we can lead by example.”
The COVID alert app was made available in July, and since then, has been downloaded over 4.5 million times. To date, 1,134 Ontarians who have tested positive for COVID-19 have anonymously alerted others they may have come into close contact, and the app is available in eight provinces.
“One of the best and simplest ways to protect you, your family and people around you from COVID-19 is to download the made-in-Ontario COVID Alert app,” added Ford. “We have already seen tremendous support from all corners of the province ― and the country ― with millions doing their part.