A suspect who is facing a number of sex-related charges was the operator of two franchises of a fast-food restaurant in Barrie, according to police.
Spokesman Peter Leon says Barrie police received a complaint of a sexual assault that had taken place on Sunday.
As a result of the investigation, detectives arrested a 47-year-old Barrie man at his business.
Leon says the accused has operated businesses since 2008 in south Barrie and was held in custody pending a bail hearing.
Since then, police say additional alleged victims came forward on Monday night, and further criminal charges have been laid.
“The exact number of charges I can’t speak to right now,” Leon told Barrie 360. “However, there are numerous charges, and very unfortunately and regrettably, there are numerous victims as well.”
Leon says they cannot confirm the name of the suspect or franchises due to the ongoing nature of the investigation, but he noted police are aware that there are social media reports out there.
The alleged victims are of various ages. Leon would not specify their ages or if any of them are minors.
“I can confirm that all of our victims that have come forward are all female,” Leon said.
Police strongly believe that there may be additional victims who may have worked at two franchises of a fast-food restaurant that have been operated by the accused over the past 13 years.
Anyone who may be a victim or has information with regards to this ongoing investigation is encouraged to contact Detective Constable Melanie Beard of the Barrie Police Service at 705-725-7025 ext. 2582 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.