Barrie Fire says an overheated machine off the gym brought around first responders Tuesday afternoon.
Fire crews got the call to St. Michael the Archangel Catholic Elementary School around 3:00 Tuesday, with reports of smoke coming from the gym. Students and staff had already been safely evacuated.
The Fire Department is on scene @SMCDSB_MAC St. Michael the Archangel Catholic School in Barrie due to a suspected fire. All students and staff have been evacuated from the school. Everyone is safe and there are no injuries reported. Updates will posted as they become available.— SMCDSB (@SMCDSB) April 23, 2019
Upon arrival, authorities zeroed in on a cause: a motor overheated in the mechanical room off the main gym. The fire was quickly brought under control, while fire crews remained on scene to ventilate the structure before school starts tomorrow.
Parents were warned by the Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board that there could be a delay for students on the bus of up to 15 minutes.