Passerby Goes Back into Burning Bradford Home, Two Seniors Rescued

Cause of Saturday Fire Not Considered Suspicious

South Simcoe Police are praising a passerby’s bravery after two senior citizens were pulled from a burning home in Bradford.

Around 7:00 Saturday night, first responders were sent out to a house fire on Canal Rd, with reports of two people trapped inside. By the time they had arrived, the pair had already been taken to safety; a passing motorist stopped and entered the burning building to first rescue an 84-year-old man, before going back in to save his 87-year-old wife.

“We would like to acknowledge the heroic actions of the passing motorist who not only stopped,” reads a South Simcoe Police-provided statement, “but stepped up to rescue these homeowners under dangerous circumstances. Thank you for your brave actions that truly made a difference.”

The couple were taken by paramedics to hospital for treatment due to heavy smoke in the home, while Bradford West Gwillimbury Fire Services knocked down the blaze. Its cause is not being considered suspicious.