Premier Ford says his recent trip to the cottage was a short one to check on his property’s welfare

Ford defends recent trip north by citing burst pipes causing hefty damage in the past

Premier Doug Ford caught some heat after it was revealed he ventured to his own cottage Easter Weekend even as he told others to stay away from theirs.

Ford responded to the rising ire by saying he was only there an hour, and only to check on the welfare of his cottage. “a couple of years ago, we had burst pipes made a terrible mess, thousands of dollars in damage,” the Premier said during his daily COVID-19 update of his Sunday morning trip north, “I woke up early in the morning, and then I just got ready and hopped in the pickup truck myself,” he continued, “I drove up there and checked out, made sure everything was okay.”

Premier Doug Ford addressing the media via Youtube on Friday afternoon

“I literally hop back in my truck and drove right back, and was back by noon,” he concluded.

Premier Ford had previously asked cottagers to remain at their primary residence instead of the seasonal one, to help avoid a strain on health care and supply chains in cottage country.

RELATED: FORD SAYS COTTAGE-OWNERS CAN HEAD NORTH ON THE LONG WEEKEND, BUT ASKS VISITORS TO STAY HOME

On Thursday, he indicated those who own a cottage or seasonal residence could go there during the May 2-4 weekend, while those who simply wanted to visit were advised to stay home.