Province adding $680 million to its commitment to improving broadband and cellular coverage across Ontario

Push for more connectivity expected to generate new jobs

Queen’s Park has announced another $680 million towards improving broadband and celluar connectivity across Ontario.

Premier Doug Ford was in Minden Hills to announced the funding on Wednesday, saying the funding is in addition to the $315 million announced in July of last year. This makes for a combined $1 billion towards improving access over the next six years.

“With the world online these days, if we are going to attract more investment to Ontario and compete in this highly competitive global marketplace, we need every part of our province connected with high-speed Internet,” said Premier Ford.

“At present, 1.4 million Ontarians lack access to broadband services that meet the CRTC’s minimum service standards, many in rural and northern areas,” said Peter Bethlenfalvy, President of the Treasury Board. “Today, we are ensuring more people and businesses can have safe and secure online access to the programs and services many of us already enjoy.”

It is expected this funding will be used for shovel-ready projects, while creating jobs, and connecting unserved and underserved communities during COVID-19 and beyond.