The Royal Canadian Mint is getting crafty with its coins.
It has created a 2020 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Pulsating Maple Leaf, engraved with an array of sub-millimetre-scale mirrors in the shape of a maple leaf. The miniature mirrors produce a design that appears to expand and contract with each tilt of the coin.
Another numismatic wonder is the 2020 $50 Fine Silver Coin – Real Shapes: The Common Loon. For the first time, the iconic loon sheds its circular enclosure. The result is a uniquely shaped, pure silver and gold-plated coin struck in the silhouette of the loon floating on the still water of a lake, just as it appears on Canada’s “loonie”.
This is the first in a series that will bring to life the shapes of Canada’s classic circulation coin designs, crafted from more than three ounces of pure silver.
In addition, the 2019 $250 Fine Silver Ultra High Relief Coin – D-Day: A Snapshot in Time honours the Canadian heroes of the June 6, 1944 D-Day landing at Juno Beach. This ultra-high relief coin recreates an overhead view of the scene that unfolded at Bernières-sur-Mer.
Other coins launching this month include:
- 2019 $200 Pure Gold Coin 40th Anniversary of the GML celebrating the signature sugar maple reverse design of one of the world’s most coveted pure gold bullion coins;
- The 2019 $100 Fine Silver Coin Yousuf Karsh: The Roaring Lion; the third in a series of 10 oz. coins celebrating the famous Canadian photographer’s work, with a reproduction of his legendary portrait of Winston Churchill;
- The 2020 $1 Fine Silver and $200 Pure Gold coins – Peace Dollar, a pair of meticulously engraved high-relief coins designed by retired Mint Engraver Susan Taylor;
- The 2020 Fine Silver Maple Leaf Fractional Set, featuring artist Lisa Thomson Khan’s design of a vividly coloured red maple leaf and Swarovski® element, as well as the opening bars to O Canada, officially adopted as Canada’s national anthem in 1980;
- The colour-enhanced 2019 $10 Fine Silver Coin – 50th Anniversary of the Official Languages Act;
- The 2019 $500 Fine Silver Coin Brilliant Mastery in Canada, a five-kilogram pure silver coin showcasing Canada’s provincial and national coats of arms;
- The 2019 $30 Fine Silver Coin – Majestic Birds In Motion: Great Horned Owls featuring a multi-frame hologram emulating the motion of birds in flight;
- The 2019 Two-Coin Set – Yin and Yang, featuring pure gold and silver teardrop-shaped coins;
- The 2019 Holiday Gift Set;
- The 2019 $3 Fine Silver Coin – Celebrating Canadian Fun and Festivities – Wine Tasting;
- The 2019 $5 Fine Silver Coin – Zodiac Series: Libra, designed by Jori Van Der Linde.
All of these products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada or on the Mint’s web site.
banner image: 2019 $30 Fine Silver Coin – Majestic Birds In Motion: Great Horned Owls