The province has committed over $116 million in funding to create 766 more beds at hospitals across Ontario. Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH) can’t say yet if it will be included.
The Ontario Government announced funding for additional beds at 32 hosptials and health facilities across the province, including in COVID-19 hot spots such as Brampton. It is expected this funding will help reduce surgical backlogs and improve access to care during COVID-19. While RVH has not received any notice of additional funding, it is busily putting to use previously announced money to create additional space. “We are working closely with the provincial government to open new bed capacity at RVH which will allow us to safely respond to the second wave of the pandemic, and avoid hallway medicine,” said RVH CEO Janice Skot. “We will begin phasing-in 70 beds in the regional Pandemic Response Unit in November and we hope to receive funding confirmation in the days ahead which will also enable RVH to open additional beds in the hospital itself.”
The Regional Pandemic Response Unit is a temporary 8,000sq field hospital built in the parking lot outside RVH. It was created in anticipation of a second wave of COVID-19, and is a fully-functional and fully staffed modular structure.
“Our government made a commitment to end hallway health care, cut hospital wait times, and build a better, more connected health care system that puts patients and their families first,” said Premier Doug Ford. “We are taking another step today to keep that promise by adding hundreds more hospital beds across the province. This will not only ensure we are ready for any surges in COVID-19 cases, but provide patients with the care they need and deserve close to home.”
Tuesday’s funding announcement is in addition to the nearly $235 million for new critical care beds as stipulated in the Ford Government’s fall preparedness plan.