The first day of school will not be September 8 for all Catholic students in Simcoe Muskoka. The school board has posted a letter to elementary and secondary families telling them the start of classes will be staggered, and all in-class students will have returned to school by Friday, September 11.
In the letter, the board said “a staggered approach to school start-up will provide the opportunity for all schools to review health and safety practices as well as new school protocols and routines with our youngest students before the full complement of students returns to each building.”
Students have not been in the classroom since the COVID-19 pandemic closed Ontario schools in mid-March.
“There are a lot of things that are going to be changed in terms of entry and exit, signage, and just general practices to try to be proactive, preventative and safe. Kids will need an overview and a little bit of a rehearsal on it.” said interim education director Catherine McCullough in an interview with Barrie 360 this week.
The board has said 80 per cent of students will be returning to the classroom next month based on preliminary results of a survey that was completed by families. The remainder of students will learn virtually.
SEPTEMBER – Elementary
- Tuesday, September 8 – SK, Grades 1, 2 and 3 students only
- Wednesday September 9 – SK to Grade 6 students only
- Thursday, September 10 – SK to Grade 8
- Friday, September 11 – JK to Grade 8
SEPTEMBER – Secondary
- Tuesday, September 8 – Grade 9 only
- Wednesday, September 9 – Grades 9 and 10 only
- Thursday, September 10 – Grades 9, 10 and 11 only
- Friday, September 11 – Grades 9, 10, 11 and 12