Teenager among 4 new cases confirmed by Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit as caseload rises to 54

The Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit has confirmed four new cases of COVID-19 in our region, including a teenager. This brings the caseload to 54.

“The great majority of our cases are in self-isolation, and they’re home recovering. We do have nine who have recovered, and we have eight hospitalized,” said SMHDU Medical Officer of Health Dr. Charles Gardner. “We’ve, very unfortunately, had four who are deceased. We have one other who has gone out of the country,” he added.

Related: 260 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario Tuesday morning, 103 people have recovered, ten more have died

Dr. Gardner said the 54 cases could be the tip of the iceberg. “We don’t know what else is out there. For every case that we know of, there are undoubtedly others we don’t, because they can’t be tested, they can’t get to testing. They may be asymptomatic. Therefore everyone needs to be practicing these general precautions I’m speaking to, the physical distancing I’m speaking to.”

“Our lag time for testing has shortened, I’m happy to say. It is now 3.3 days per case. It had been over six days, just a few days ago.”

Below is a recap of the first 52 cases reported by the SMDHU. Information on cases 53 and 54 was not immediately made available.

Deleted: