Wasaga Beach fire chief points to careless smoking as cause of Tuesday morning house fire

Woman, two cats, escaped unharmed

Nobody was hurt after a fire that started in the bedroom of a Wasaga Beach home.

Wasaga Beach Fire Service was called to a home on fire on Meadow Lane around 4:00 Tuesday morning. Fire Chief Mike McWilliam told Barrie 360 the fire started in the bedroom and did extensive damage to that room. He addes significant smoke and water damage was done to the rest of the home, and estimates damage in the area of $200,000.

The woman in the home, as well as her two cats, were able to escape without injury. Chief McWilliam says the fire has been deemed accidental, a result of careless smoking.