News

Published May 20, 2026

One person in Ontario who recently travelled to East Africa being tested for Ebola virus

By Hannah Alberga
UNICEF supplies being off-loaded at Bunia National Airport in Congo during Ebola outbreak response efforts in May 2026.
People off-load a shipment of more than 15 tons of supplies donated by UNICEF as part of the response to the Ebola virus outbreak at Bunia National Airport in Bunia, Congo, Tuesday, May 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Moses Sawasawa)

Ontario's ministry of health says a person in the province who recently travelled to East Africa is being tested for Ebola virus and is in hospital.

A spokesperson says the patient is being tested for a range of infections, including the deadly virus, "out of an abundance of caution," given the person's recent travel history.

Currently, there's an outbreak of a rare type of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighbouring Uganda.

Barrie's News Delivered To Your Inbox

Stay up to date with what Barrie's talking about. Get the latest local news delivered right to your inbox every day. Never miss out on what's going on ...
Subscription Form
Consent Info

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Central Ontario Broadcasting, 431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, Ontario, CA, https://www.cobroadcasting.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

The World Health Organization says there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected deaths, though officials believe the scale of the spread is much larger.

It's not immediately clear which type of Ebola the patient in Ontario is being tested for, or where in the region they travelled to.  

The Public Health Agency of Canada says there has never been a case of Ebola virus in Canada. 

Symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle pain and internal and external bleeding in later stages of the illness. 

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says the risk of the outbreak is low on a global scale, but high at national and regional levels in Africa. 

Global Affairs Canada said earlier on Wednesday that it was not aware of any Canadians affected by the current outbreak of Ebola Bundibugyo, for which there is no vaccine. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 20, 2026. 

Canadian Press health coverage receives support through a partnership with the Canadian Medical Association. CP is solely responsible for this content.

What do you think of this article?
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
0
+1
1
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Have a breaking story?

Share it with us!
Share Your Story

What Barrie's talking about!

From breaking news to the best slice of pizza in town! Get everything Barrie’s talking about delivered right to your inbox every day. Don’t worry, we won’t spam you. We promise :)
Subscription Form
Consent Info

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Central Ontario Broadcasting, 431 Huronia Rd, Barrie, Ontario, CA, https://www.cobroadcasting.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Related Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement