Attempt to Thaw Pipes With Blow Torch Results in $30,000 Fire

No Injuries Following Port Sydney Cement Plant Fire

Looks like an attempt to thaw some pipes at a cement plant in Port Sydney contributed to a fire there that did an estimated thirty grand in damage.

The Huntsville and Lake of Bays Fire Department got the call to the Stephenson Road 8 company around 3:00 Friday afternoon, arriving to find smoke coming from the roof.

Crews Tend to Fire On Second Storey of Cement Plant In A Photo Courtesy
@HLOBfire

Firefighters knocked down the fire in no time, adding it appears the fire started when a blow torch was used to thaw pipes on the exterior of the structure.

That is something the fire service does not recommend, instead use a portable space heater, hair dryer, or electric heating pad to warm the pipes.