The COVID-19 pandemic may have cancelled Barrie’s outdoor Canada Day celebrations and fireworks show but it has not cancelled the nation’s birthday party.
The City has a lineup of virtual programming that you can enjoy at home.
Schedule of activities:
- 10 a.m. – Interactive family activities including story time, buskers, science experiments, Canadian wildlife, dance, and crafts.
- 1 p.m. – National Celebration: Canada Day Across the Country will showcase Canada’s cultural diversity, sporting excellence, Indigenous culture and languages, and the resilience of frontline workers.
- 4 p.m. – Canada Day Campfire Sessions featuring a line-up of local talent performing original songs and Canadian favourites perfect for enjoying around the campfire.
- 7 p.m. – Participate in the Oh Canada Community Chorus by wearing red and white and joining the community in singing Oh Canada from your front yard.
- 8 p.m. – National Celebration: Canada Day Together. Join this unique edition of Canada’s annual iconic celebration featuring original artist collaborations between performers from coast to coast ending in a finale featuring a montage of Canada Day fireworks from years past.
- 9:30 p.m. – The City is partnering with snapd to deliver a virtual fireworks experience using augmented reality. Canadian astronaut, Chris Hadfield will lead the final countdown. People can access the virtual fireworks experience by downloading the snapd HUB app on their mobile device.
The public is encouraged to check out the City’s Canada Day engagement hub. Take Canadian-themed quick polls, check out Canada Day themed activities you can do from home, and share what makes you proud to be Canadian. Residents are encouraged to post photos and videos of how they’re celebrating on social media using #CanadaDayInBarrie and #OhCanada.
The City’s virtual Canada Day celebration is funded in part by the Government of Canada.
Visit barrie.ca/Canada Day for a full schedule of activities and information on how to join the virtual celebration.