City offers recreation and culture activities over the holiday season
Includes free and paid events and programs
News release – The City of Barrie
The City of Barrie is hosting several activities for the community over the holiday season at various recreation and cultural facilities, including the following free and paid events and programs.
Holiday skates and swims
The City invites members of the community to participate in free skates and swims at Allandale Recreation Centre, East Bayfield Community Centre and Peggy Hill Team Community Centre on various dates and times in late December and early January. Participants are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for donation when attending these events. Visit barrie.ca/events for dates and times.
Offerings at the 55+ Centres
The City’s 55+ Centres (Allandale and Parkview) will host a variety of events throughout the holiday season:
- Holiday Lights Bus Tour (December 19 from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m.) at Allandale Recreation Centre. Participants will hop on a bus to view the festive lights in and around Barrie. After the tour, hot apple cider and other refreshments will be served. There will be a prize for best holiday costume. The cost is $22 per person and participants can register via play.barrie.ca or in person at Allandale Recreation Centre or at Parkview Community Centre
- Holiday Celebration (December 20 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.) at Allandale 55+ Centre. This event is free but participants must register ahead in person at the Centre or by phone at 705-728-6332. The event will also include musical entertainment by “The Paraguinns”, dancing, games, prizes and refreshments.
Drop-ins at the Youth Centre
The Youth Centre at the Peggy Hill Team Community Centre is hosting several free drop-in programs leading up to the holidays for youth aged 11-17:
- Make Your Own Ornament (December 10 from 3:30 to 8:30 p.m.). Participants can craft their own ornament to take home.
- Youth Takeover Night (December 16 from 3 to 8:30 p.m.). Youth are invited to ‘take over’ the Community Centre during an evening of games, crafts, holiday baking and sports.
- Gingerbread House Contest (December 23 from 6 to 7 p.m.). Participants can kick off the holiday break in style with a gingerbread house decorating contest.
- New Year’s Eve-Eve Karaoke Night (December 30 from 3:30 to 8:30 p.m.). Celebrate New Year’s Eve-Eve with food, drinks and some good music as we sing in the new year.
Details on these events are available at barrie.ca/events.
Winter Break Camps
The City is hosting winter break camps for ages 4-5, 6-8, 6-11 and 9-12, featuring sports, games and crafts. Camps will be available at Peggy Hill Team Community Centre and East Bayfield Community Centre from December 27 to December 30 and January 2 to January 6. Registration is available at play.barrie.ca.
The City reminds community members that registration for all winter recreation and culture programming is now open, and participants can browse all programming opportunities at play.barrie.ca.
Banner image – file photo – Barrie 360