
Canada's top trade negotiators were back at it Sunday as Ottawa seeks to head off a new round of U.S. tariffs that could take effect later this week.
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Canada's chief trade negotiator, Janice Charette, held a virtual meeting with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer days before a proposed 50 per cent tariff is scheduled to come into force on Aug. 19.
A spokesperson for LeBlanc described the one-hour meeting as "constructive."
“They took stock of the work that has been done by their respective negotiating teams, and discussions are continuing,” the spokesperson said.
Negotiations intensify ahead of deadline
LeBlanc and Charette spent the weekend in Washington following meetings held last week as discussions between the two countries ramp up.
The latest push comes after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order calling for 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods, including products from cement to hockey sticks.
U.S. officials have argued the measures are a response to provincial restrictions on American alcohol sales, Canada's supply-managed dairy system and quotas affecting some U.S. vehicles.
LeBlanc's office said Sunday's meeting followed several days of detailed technical discussions between Canadian and American negotiators.
"The meeting will be an opportunity to take stock of the work that has been accomplished by their respective negotiating teams, and the work that still lies ahead, as we seek to reach a comprehensive deal that delivers for businesses, workers, farmers and families on both sides of the border," Gabriel Brunet, a spokesperson for LeBlanc, said in a statement before the meeting.
The virtual format was chosen because Sunday was Greer's birthday. It was the fifth meeting between LeBlanc and Greer since Trump announced the tariff threat.
Liquor sales remain a key issue
On Friday, Greer said negotiations had been constructive but maintained Canada would need to remove its retaliatory measures if it hopes to avoid the new tariffs.
He also said the United States has had significant trade concerns with Canada for decades.
One ongoing point of contention is provincial restrictions on U.S. alcohol. Provinces and territories removed American liquor products from store shelves in response to U.S. tariffs introduced earlier in 2025.
Alberta and Saskatchewan have since resumed sales of U.S. alcohol, but American negotiators have continued pressing other provinces to do the same.
Last week, Ontario Premier Doug Ford signalled he may be willing to restore sales of American alcohol if it formed part of a broader agreement that protects Canadian industries already facing tariffs.
Ottawa preparing for all outcomes
LeBlanc updated provincial and territorial trade ministers, along with the prime minister's advisory committee on Canada-U.S. economic relations, on the state of negotiations Friday.
Following that meeting, Quebec Economy Minister Bernard Drainville said the two countries still appeared to be a considerable distance from reaching an agreement.
Erin O'Toole, who sits on the advisory committee, said Friday that the federal government is preparing a response should the proposed 50 per cent tariffs take effect Wednesday.
Political pressure is also mounting in Ottawa as the deadline approaches.
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said he believes there's "no reason" Prime Minister Mark Carney cannot secure "a great deal on Wednesday," noting Carney pledged during the last federal election campaign to reach an agreement with Trump.
"No more concessions while getting nothing in return. We have to stand up and fight for our country," Poilievre said at a press conference in Vancouver on Sunday.
- with files from The Canadian Press




