Unfortunately, just because we’re in lockdown doesn’t mean the need for blood is any less important. Canadian Blood Services have remained open throughout the pandemic and they still need donors every single day.
Here are a few facts about donating blood:
- Every person has 5 litres of blood in their bodies (and you can donate up to 4 times per year!)
- More than 4.5 million patients need blood transfusions each year
- Half of all Canadians will either need or know someone who needs blood at some point in their lives
- One donation of blood can save up to 3 lives
- Blood only has a 15-day shelf life
- While only 7% of Canadians have it, O- blood makes you a universal donor, which makes it a critical life-saving tool in emergency situations where there isn’t time to confirm a patient’s blood type.
- AB- blood holds the title of being the rarest with only 0.5% of Canadians having it. While it can donate to all other negative blood types, its real power comes in the fact that its components (like Platelet and Plasma) are universal.
So, what are you waiting for? Canadian Blood Services has ensured that the process is as safe as possible with mandatory pre-screening, masks, and loads of other safety precautions. Head over to the website and book yourself an appointment to save some lives!
Featured image courtesy of Health Matters via healthmatters.org