Close call for Barrie mom and son
Carbon Monoxide scare
A Minet’s Point mother and son are feeling the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Emergency services were called to the home just before noon yesterday.
2 Barrie residents are recovering in hospital tonight from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. They are fortunate that they made the call to 911 as they DID NOT have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in their home. FMI on how to protect your family: https://t.co/EG3Z6MR44b https://t.co/Iicm8kY3p2— Barrie Fire (@Barrie_Fire) March 20, 2019
Barrie Fire and Life Safety Officer Samantha Hoffmann says elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found in the home due to a faulty furnace.
There were no carbon monoxide alarms in the home.
The mother and son were taken to RVH for treatment.
Hoffmann says they are fortunate this happened during the day, when they were awake, and not while they were sleeping.
Things you need to know
- No matter the age of your home, if you have oil, propane or gas burning appliances, furnace or water heater,
a woodor gas fireplace, or an attached garage or carport, you must have at least one working carbon monoxide alarm installed. Home ownerswho do not protect their homes with a CO alarm are at risk of being fined (similar to smoke alarm laws)
- It is critical to check your CO alarm(s) expiry date. Replace any alarms built before 2008. CO alarms need to be replaced every 7–10 years depending on the brand.
- Remember to annually replace batteries in your CO alarm, or opt for models with 10-year sealed lithium batteries that never need to be changed.
- Regular appliance inspections are critical. Have a
licencedtechnician check your fuel-burning appliances (furnace, range, fireplace, water heater) annually to ensure they are in proper working order and vented correctly.