Dog dials 911 while chewing on mobile phone
No word if the dog received a warning from police
Apparently, it’s not just people who need a reminder that calling 911 is for emergencies only.
There is a pooch in Barrie that landed in the doghouse after placing an overnight call to 911 around three Thursday morning.
The 911 operator was unable to make voice contact and determine the nature of the emergency, so police responded to the home and determined the occupants were fine, though the family dog had done some damage.
It seems the dog used a mobile phone belonging to an occupant of the residence as a chew toy, and while chomping down, called 911.
The Barrie Police Service receives dozens of 911 calls daily and some of these are actual calls for service that require an immediate police response. In some cases, the calls are accidental; but every 911 call is taken seriously and police will always respond to confirm there is no emergency and most importantly, to ensure, that the caller is not in danger.
Police are reminding the public that mobile telecommunications devices should always be locked to avoid accidental calls from being made to 9-1-1 and that they should be placed out of reach of children and pets, when left unattended or receiving a charge.