Investigation launched into cluster of COVID-19 cases in 11 people who attended a Muskoka resort and restaurant

Deerhurst and 3 Guys and A Stove agreed to be publicly identified

Nearly a dozen people out of a group of 30 from multiple families who attended a restaurant and a resort in Muskoka during the August long weekend have tested positive for COVID-19.

Dr. Charles Gardner, Medical Officer of Health for Simcoe Muskoka, said on Tuesday that the group had been at Deerhurst Resort and attended 3 Guys and A Stove in Huntsville. None of them are from Simcoe Muskoka and none had symptoms while at the resort or the restaurant. Since the long weekend, several individuals developed symptoms and 11 tested positive for the virus. Gardner said there have been no cases of transmission in Muskoka related to this situation. The health unit is conducting an investigation about contacts at the facilities. He added both the resort and restaurant agreed to be publicly identified.

The health unit is conducting an investigation about contacts at the resort and the restaurant in order to determine who needs to go into self-isolation and get tested for COVID-19. So far, Gardner said there has been one individual identified.

Meanwhile, the health unit reported one new case of COVID-19 in Simcoe Muskoka on Tuesday. The individual is a male from Gravenhurst between 18 and 34 years of age.

There have been 668 confirmed infections in Simcoe Muskoka and 93 per cent of the cases have recovered. Only one person is in hospital being treated for the disease.

Gardner also said it was marvellous news that only 33 new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Ontario on Tuesday. He said people need to avoid complacency and to keep up their safeguards.