Man pulled from Sunday fire on Caroline Street, Barrie, succumbs to injuries

Cause of fire yet to be determined

A Sunday morning house fire on Caroline Street in Barrie has claimed the life of a resident of the home.

Kitchen fire at a Barrie residence early Sunday, one person taken to hospital

Firefighters, called to the single-story home early Sunday morning, rescued a man from a rear apartment. He was taken to hospital with unspecified injuries.

The fire originated in a kitchen area of the home. The Ontario Fire Marshal continues its probe for a cause.

A male in a front apartment was not injured.

Barrie Fire and Life Safety Officer, Samantha Hoffmann, reminds everyone of the importance to remain in the kitchen while cooking. If you must leave, she recommends wearing an oven mitt as a reminder that you left something cooking.

And with the time change this weekend (we ‘spring’ forward an hour to Daylight Saving Time) Hoffmann says it’s a good opportunity to replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and to also check the expiry dates on the units.