“More boots on the ground,” Ford Government announces $52.5 million to bring over 3,700 healthcare workers into the fold

Healthcare workers being positioned to help combat second wave

The Province of Ontario is committing $52.5 million towards recruiting, retaining, and supporting over 3,700 new healthcare workers as preparations for a second wave of COVID continue.

“We know that this wave will be more complicated, more complex, it will be worse than the first wave we faced earlier this year,” said Premier Doug Ford on Monday. “That means strengthening our healthcare system, it means adding more resources, adding more testing capacity, and most importantly, adding more boots on the ground.”

“As we enter the second wave, getting more healthcare workers, more nurses, more personal support workers, getting these folks in place will be absolutely critical,” he continued.

RELATED: PROVINCIAL NURSES ASSOCIATION SAYS NEARLY 100 LAYOFFS COMING TO NEWMARKET HOSPITAL

Of the funding announced on Monday, $14 million will be put towards personal support worker (PSW) training, $10.3 million for PSW recruitment, $1.3 million towards training, and $700,000 towards accelerating PSW training for students with prior health experience. The province will put $18 million towards Ontario’s Nursing Graduate Guarantee program and $8 million to add over 800 nurses to the health system in areas of need.

Monday’s announcement came as the province confirmed 700 cases of COVID-19 in one day. That is the highest number of daily cases to date, surpassing the previous high of 640 set in April.