How To Celebrate Star Wars Day In Barrie
May 4th has become universally known as Star Wars Day thanks to some clever wordplay. The pun has popped up many times throughout history, but the first known instance was in 1979. Margaret Thatcher had just taken office as the Prime Minister of Britain. In an Ad taken out on May 4th in The London Evening News, the conservative party congratulated her, saying “May the Fourth Be with You, Maggie. Congratulations.”
It wasn’t until 2011 that the first organized celebration took place. The event was held at the Toronto Underground Cinema and included a trivia game, costume contest, and screenings of tribute films, parodies, mash-ups, and more.
Today, the day is celebrated with events, screenings, new shows, fun merch, and more. If you’re looking for a fun way to show your love for the franchise, here are some ideas to get you started …
How To Celebrate Star Wars Day
Whether you’re spending the day alone or gathering with friends, here are some fun ways to spend May The Fourth:
- Binge the films or any of the many spin-offs. If you can’t be face-to-face with friends but still want to celebrate together you can organize a watch party on Disney+ using their GroupWatch functionality.
- Get comfortable and flip through a Star Wars book or comic to learn more about the story.
- Head to a local venue for some Star Wars-themed trivia. (Keep reading to find out where you can go in Barrie and the surrounding area).
- Dress up as one of your favourite characters.
- Make some themed crafts like this Rogue One Death Star Plans Notebook.
- Pass on your love of Star Wars to a younger generation (or an older one because the franchise is ageless).
- Donate any merch you no longer use or need so that others can enjoy them.
Star Wars Trivia Events In Barrie & Area
If you’re a Star Wars fan and in the Barrie area, here are a couple of trivia events you should know about!
The Barrie Public Library
If you know of any teenagers who follow the franchise, they can put their knowledge to the test with Trivia at the Downtown branch of the Barrie Public Library. The event takes place on Star Wars Day (May The 4th Be With You) from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the Downtown Branch’s Angus Ross Room.
If you’re looking for a Star Wars Day celebration for all ages, be sure to head to Eleven 01 at Horseshoe Resort.
Every Thursday Night, the restaurant hosts a trivia night. On May 4th, the night will be Star Wars themed with questions about the films, characters, pop culture, and spin-offs.
The game starts and 7 PM and the restaurant recommends you “land your starship” at least 10 to 15 minutes before to secure your table.
Whatever you choose to do, have fun and enjoy yourself!