Full of good ideas? Then start practicing your pitch, because the Dragons are coming to town.
Auditions for the show Dragon’s Den will be held in Barrie in late March. Aspiring entrepreneurs will have the opportunity to pitch their business to the producers of the show. On the line, a chance to pitch their business concept on national television to a panel of wealthy Canadian business moguls.
To help with the audition, Dragon’s Den has provided a cheat sheet to prepare that sales pitch. It includes info on what show producers are looking for:
- The opportunity: Identify the opportunity for the investor. What’s your competitive edge? Why is this the next great deal, and why are you the entrepreneur to invest in?
- The story: It’s the human connection in a world of financials that producers are looking for. There’s always a story behind your motivation, a story behind the lightbulb moment. Something that people can relate to and make them want to find out more.
- The passion: Don’t come to an audition and press play on a video and hope that it speaks for you. Producers are looking for the most passionate, energetic presenters, and people who could spend hours discussing every detail of their fascinating business.
- The money: Dragons are looking to invest in legitimate opportunities. The Dragons want to put their dollars to work, they don’t want to do the work for you. Producers need to know what this deal will do for YOU. Why do YOU need the investment? Be sure to highlight exactly why you need an investment and what you plan to do with the money.
- The TV show: Put your best foot forward. This is television, not PowerPoint! Talking about stats and forecasts can get a little dull. Ask yourself: what’s going to make millions of new customers stay glued to their TVs to find out about YOUR product or business? How will your pitch stand out? Think of some entertaining elements that could help your pitch stand out at auditions and in the Den.
Auditions will be held at Barrie’s Georgian College campus from 10 am to 5 pm on Thursday, March 26th.