We all have that person who is impossible to buy gifts for. Whether it’s because you’re not quite sure what they want or maybe they just have everything already, crossing them off your list is always a struggle.
Good news! We have put together a list of local places to grab a gift that nobody will be expecting. After all, if you couldn’t think of it, chances are they couldn’t either!
Take a quick walk downtown or a leisurely drive pretty much anywhere in Barrie, and you’re bound to see tons of local shops where you can get your hands on so many amazing things. Barrie makes it so easy to support local, why not keep that vibe going through the holidays?
We’re wrapping things up (pun intended) with two more awesome additions:
MacLaren Art Centre
You might already know that the MacLaren Art Centre hosts fresh art exhibitions all year long along with a huge range of classes for all ages. Have you ever stopped by the gift shop though? From beautiful artwork that will brighten up any room to countless swag, like shirts and hats, that will show off your Barrie pride, MacLaren’s got you covered. While we have a few picks here if you’re looking to take things easy on the wallet this year, taking someone to see one of their new exhibitions is also a fun idea for an experience as a gift because it’s free (though donations are always appreciated)!
- Spirit Catcher Sculptures ($1000) – Also available in smaller sizes (from $40 to $65) these study, locally crafted statues lets you put a little piece of Barrie anywhere you like!
- Michael Merrill Artwork ($1000) – Two unique pieces are currently up for sale at MacLaren and would be a perfect gift for any art lover. Grab one before they’re gone!
The Artisan Boutique
With a location right in the heart of Barrie and currently showcasing over 90 local artisans, The Artisan Boutique just might just be the mecca for supporting local! They have everything from home decor and jewellery to books and beauty products. Looking for some locally made treats? They have those too! Gift cards are also available but trust us, we think you should check them out in person. It’s almost unfathomable you won’t find at least a few things that make you say “wow, that’s so cool!”
- Snowshoe Art ($450) – This beautiful stained glass piece is easy to hang and will make a unique addition to anyones home!
- Custom Yo-Yo ($15) – These little guys are made of hand burned maple and have plenty of designs to choose from (or you could always get a custom job done).
- Skateboard Gramophone ($230) – Made from recycled board material, these speakers amplify your phone audio with no electricity necessary!
Related Local News: Barrie’s rarest, weirdest, most wonderful gifts (Part 2)
There you have it. If you truly want to surprise someone with your gift this year, we think any one of these will do the trick.
Where will you be shopping this year? Supporting local this holiday season is a fantastic way to give two gifts: One to your recipient, and one to the community!
With gifts like these, why would you go anywhere else?
Featured image: freestocks.org via pexels.com