York Regional Police are investigating after a Barrie woman was nearly robbed of her puppy.
The alleged attempted theft happened around 4:00 Wednesday afternoon at a commuter lot at the 400 and highway 9; the 54-year-old woman was selling two pups on kijiji and says the first transaction went off without a hitch.
The woman told police two men approached shortly after the first puppy was sold, and tried to assault her and grab the puppy and its carrier. She chased them down and the pup was thrown from the window of the getaway car, still in his carrier.
The first suspect is described as a South Asian male, about 20 years of age, standing 5’8″ tall, wearing a black face mask, black scarf and green track pants. The second suspect is descirbed only as a South Asian male wearing a face mask.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police #1 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7142 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
The Barrie Police Service provides the following tips to stay safe while buying or selling online:
- Always vet your purchase. For example, if you are buying a cell phone before giving money make sure you open the package and check the IMEI number.
- Never meet someone alone to conduct a transaction.
- If you are doing a drop-off, meet in a safe location. Meeting in an area where there are cameras is my number one suggestion. For example, a police station or a Tim Horton’s.
- You are welcome to contact police to see if they have heard of any current scams.
- Check the latest updates on frauds and scams on the Canadian Anti Fraud website.
- Do not respond to people offering to sell your items for you.
- The biggest tip is that if it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.
- Kijiji cannot validate the legitimacy of users, nor can they guarantee that they are not fraudulent.