courtesy of the City of Barrie
This Thursday (July 22), curbside collection will occur in the tornado recovery area. This week is recycling pick-up for residents in this area; however, the City’s curbside collection contractor will assist in picking up bagged garbage at the curb.
To date, City staff have hauled and disposed of approximately 108 tonnes of tornado debris at the Barrie Landfill Site.
Reminder: For affected residents, fees will be waived at the landfill until July 23.
The City has hired a contractor to assist with chipping trees. Residents are asked to bring tree debris to the curb and phone 705-728-8442 to ensure collection. For non-tree tornado debris, residents are asked to continue to use the large public bins located in the area or along the park frontage of Coronation Parkway. The bins will be removed on Monday, July 26.
City Building Officials continue to review engineering reports and clear Unsafe Orders as requirements are met. Building staff will remain onsite at the City’s information centre located in the trailer near Saint Gabriel’s School (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) until Friday to help facilitate resident inquires. Following Friday, residents can call the tornado assistance line at 705-728-8442 or email email@example.com.
Healing After Trauma: Regaining Your Mental Health After A Disaster
Date: July 22, 5 to 7 p.m.
Location: Outside Saint Gabriel’s School (130 Prince William Way)
This event will bring together agencies who can help: New Path Youth & Family Services, Catholic Family Services and Waypoint Centre For Mental Health Care. Experts from each of these organizations will bring you helpful information to help you cope during this difficult time. Staff and counsellors from these organizations will be available for questions and answers during and after the session. This event is supported by the City of Barrie, The Simcoe Country District School Board and The Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board.
- Tornado assistance line for affected residents: 705-728-8442
- Service Barrie: 705-726-4242 (press zero after hours)
- Email ServiceBarrie@barrie.ca if you wish to be added to a list to offer assistance/donations
- Ontario SPCA support for anyone who needs temporary housing or food for their animal:
- Barrie Public Library Painswick branch: offering computers, free wi-fi and laptops that can be borrowed in-branch for anyone that needs internet and computer access
- Red Cross number for residents directly affected: 289-206-8275
- Ontario 211: Community and Social Services: call 2-1-1 or visit https://infobarrie.cioc.ca/
- Canadian Mental Health Association Simcoe County: cmhastarttalking.ca
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or kidshelpphone.ca
- Victim Services: 705-725-7028 ext. 2120 (After Hours Only: 1-866-923-3938)