Exploding E-Cigarette Blows Hole In Teen’s Jaw

A 17-year-old Nevada boy travelled 400 kilometres to hospital with a bloody mouth, broken teeth and a hole in his jaw after his vape exploded.

It took six weeks and two surgeries for him to heal.

He’s still waiting for implants for his missing teeth


CT scan of the 17-year-old boy, featuring his shattered jaw and displaced teeth

It’s not clear why his vape exploded. Previous cases have been linked to batteries in the devices.

Related: San Francisco city leaders vote to ban e-cigarette sales

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has launched a website titled “Tips to Help Avoid ‘Vape’ Battery Explosions,” but many in the medical field say a lot of users aren’t aware that e-cigarettes can explode — meaning they don’t seek out resources on battery safety.

A doctor who treated the 17-year-old noted a pack of cigarettes says this can kill you while e-cigarettes warn that nicotine is addictive, but offer little information on battery risk.