Family escapes, cat perishes in residential fire in Springwater
Officials say the cause of the fire was accidental and damage is estimated to be $400,000
A family of four escaped but their cat perished in a residential fire in Springwater Township on Wednesday morning.
Just after 1:00 a.m., Springwater Fire & Emergency Services responded to a reported structure fire on Old Second South.
When emergency crews arrived on the scene, they say they found the home fully involved with flames.
Four Springwater fire stations and 30 firefighters responded – a water tanker shuttle was used to control the blaze.
“Crews did a fantastic job of getting this fire under control,” said Deputy Fire Chief Jeff French. “The fire was challenging as the roof of the residence was covered in solar panels creating continuous live electricity. Crews worked throughout the night to bring the fire under control.”
Fire crews say the home had working smoke alarms, and the family does have insurance.
According to officials, the cause of the fire was accidental in nature and damage is estimated at approximately $400,000.
“This fire is another example of how working smoke alarms save lives when seconds count,” adds French.
Firefighters say it is the law to have working smoke alarms installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas.
For more fire prevention information, visit springwater.ca/FirePrevention.
Images via Township of Springwater