Final decision on back to school for Ontario kids coming this week

Premier wants to have another look at the numbers

We’ll find out this week if Ontario students will return to the classroom to complete the school year.

Premier Ford said at a news conference Saturday that parents can expect some news in the coming days.

“I know next week we will be announcing that. We just want to look at the numbers again,” he said. “I had an in-depth conversation late last night with the minister of education and he will be making an announcement next week on that.”

The province tacked on two weeks to the end of March Break in a bid to curb the spread of COVID-19 and there have been several extensions since then with the latest one to expire on May 31.

At an unrelated news conference on Saturday, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said students will receive final report cards regardless of what happens.

“We want to make sure that we get this right and I know that parents, educators and staff would like some predictability today as to what June will look like and all I can say is what I have said before,” Lecce said during an unrelated press conference on Saturday morning. “We are working very closely with the chief medical officer of health and with the COVID-19 command table with one focus. How do we get students back into schools when it is safe? We are building up protocols as to what that would look like and how are going to have to potentially reimagine education in some respects.”

Many provinces have already announced the cancellation of in-person classes for the rest of the year.

Elementary schools will reopen in parts of Quebec on Monday. Libraries, gyms and cafeterias will be closed. Student attendance is optional.